PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: Is our universe unique or one of many? What happened before the Big Bang? Why is there something rather than nothing? Physicists and cosmologists are closing in on how the universe operates at its very core. But even with powerful telescopes and particle accelerators pushed to their limits, experimenters struggle to keep up as theoreticians march forward, leaving grand theories untested. Some argue that if these deep questions can’t be answered empirically, they’re not relevant to science. Are they right? Join world-leading cosmologists, philosophers and physicists as they tackle the profound questions of existence.
PARTICIPANTS: David Z. Albert, George F. R. Ellis, Alan Guth, Veronika Hubeny, Andrei Linde, Barry Loewer
MODERATOR: Jim Holt
WATCH THE TRAILER: https://youtu.be/8_dPccRi8kE
WATCH THE LIVE Q&A W/ DAVID ALBERT: https://youtu.be/SWEpp_3qbGg
MORE INFO ABOUT THE PROGRAM AND PARTICIPANTS: https://www.worldsciencefestival.com/...
This program is part of the Big Ideas Series, made possible with support from the John Templeton Foundation.
- Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for all the latest from WSF
- Visit our Website: http://www.worldsciencefestival.com/
- Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/worldscience...
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/WorldSciFest
- The Biggest Questions of Cosmology 00:00
- Participant Introductions 05:33
- Does eternity relate to infinity? 13:45
- Why is wrong to say the universe has a finite past? 24:15
- The two claims about inflation. 36:54
- Is 3D dimensional space the real space? 47:27
- The "measurement" problem 59:33
This program was recorded live on 6/3/17 and has been edited for our YouTube channel. Watch the original livestream here: https://youtu.be/Er7qPv8jsZo